By Hook, By Hand
Columbine was made from a wonderful crochet doll sample which is freely obtainable on Ravelry. The pattern is Yun Shu. She is crocheted in sport weight yarn with a dimension C (2.5mm) crochet hook. She stands about 7.5 inches tall.
As you can see, she is a really slender-bodied doll, so she is simple to costume by pulling her clothing up over her weave crown closure ft. Her eyes had been made from this wonderful crochet eye tutorial; one of the best I have ever seen for making eyes like this:
Crochet doll eyes
I made Columbine’s eyes with dimension eight perle cotton and a measurement 7 steel hook; they turned out about 3/8 inch in diameter.
I made a couple of tweaks to the pattern, so she could be a bit simpler for me to make. Following are the changes I made to the sample:
1. I eliminated the foot and added one stitch to the width of the leg as much as the second enhance, then labored per the pattern.
2. I added one stitch to the width of the arm.
3. I didn’t use a wire armature; as an alternative, I stuffed the legs as I crocheted, after every six or seven rows as much as the hips. If you need the doll to be in a position to sit down, don’t stuff clear to the top of the leg..depart somewhat area with no stuffing so the legs can transfer freely.
4. For the arms, I stuffed a ball of stuffing in the end for the hand, then didn’t stuff the remainder of the arm.
5. By including a stitch to the width of every arm, I ended up with two further stitches on the shoulder. Lower these out in the primary decrease row after attaching the arms, then work the shoulders as written.
6. For a move-in a position head, I worked the shoulders down to eight stitches, then worked a number of rows on these eight stitches for a neck stub (to suit up inside the head)
7. For the top, I left a hole at the underside (neck finish) of the head eight stitches round, then worked the pinnacle as written. I stuffed the pinnacle by means of this hole; it is small however doable.
8. For the eyes, weave crown closure I used this glorious eye tutorial. I used perle cotton size eight for the eyes, and the eyes ended up being about 3/eight of an inch across.
9. For the hair, I made a 3-round wig cap of 8sc, 16sc, 20sc, then worked the strands as written. I used the extra stitch to make yet one more bang strand.